We seem to be off to a bit of a slow start so far, but I have faith that we can change that if we just stay at it. And we can always continue to comment on previous topics/threads as well.
Next topic, scripture references. Provide a script reference that you like, quote at least some of the text in it and explain why you like it.
I chose a scripture from the Book of Mormon to start off with. It is in the third book of Nephi, chapter 11 verse 29. First a little background, this is when Jesus Christ has been resurrected and appears to the people in the Americas to show Himself to them and to establish His church there, just as He did in the Jerusalem. He is talking to the people and says this:
"For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another"
I like how blunt it is, fighting is not Christlike. I invite all, no matter what religion (or no religion) they might have to participate here in open discussions and exchanges, but request that there be no contention here. We can agree to disagree on things, but I think if we give it a chance, we'll find that we all have more in common than we might think. I believe that the primary part of a religion should be to encourage people to live better lives and to love and respect those around them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I like this one because it teaches understanding and compassion.
----------------------
St. John, Ch. 8
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto [Jesus] a woman taken in adultery...
7 ...[and Jesus] lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
That's a good one. I like it a lot too.
This one also brings up the massive double-standard that existed in Christ's day (and to a certain extent, still exists toay). In order for the woman to have been taken in adultery (caught in the act) she would have had to of been with a man, but he was not brought forward, only she was.
I really like the message of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Just imagine what the world might be like if the media could follow that advice.
Carrying your thought further, Doobie...Since the media are primarily concerned with profits, they probably would "follow that advice" if it would sell better than their current methods. I've often thought about the media's annoying, shocking, and often downright immature habits and tendencies, and I end up ultimately concluding that they are simply an unfortunate reflection of the readers/viewers. If only that kind of stuff didn't sell so well...
My prediction: When the media can "follow that advice" it will be because the world in general has changed and become more "Christlike" in aggregate.
Yeah, I guess that is true about the media. They would always be playing up the sensationalism angle if it didn't bring in the bucks.
And it seems like the world is naturally attracted to the shocking and illicit news stories.
Which brings up another scripture reference:
Mosiah 3:19 - For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been since the fall of Adam...
Which ties right along with what you were saying about the world in general if the media were to ever change their ways.
OK, forget the media and let's get something positive going here...
From Psalm 8...
"What are humans that you are mindful of them, mere mortals that you care for them?
Yet you have made them little less than a god, crowned with glory and honor.
You have given them rule over the works of your hands, put all things at their feet."
God is good. He has entrusted us with a lot of stuff. Let's change the world!!!
Post a Comment